For Immediate Release
Ten Major Medical and Public Health Groups Call for Release of Bulgarian Nurses and Palestinian Doctor Convicted of Infecting Children with HIV
Cambridge, Mass - 03/23/2007
Ten major medical and public health associations, representing hundreds of thousands of doctors, nurses, and health experts, have written a letter to Libya's Colonel Mu'ammar al-Qadhafi calling for the release of five Bulgarian nurses and a Palestinian physician wrongfully convicted of infecting children with the AIDS virus in a Libyan hospital. The letter is part of an international campaign to free the health workers, who have been imprisoned since February, 1999.
These groups signed the letter:
- American Medical Association
- American College of Physicians
- American Medical Student Association
- Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- HIV Medicine Association
- International Human Rights Committee of American Public Health Association
- Physicians for Human Rights
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
- Society of General Internal Medicine
- World Federation of Public Health Associations
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) is an independent organization that uses medicine and science to stop mass atrocities and severe human rights violations. We are supported by the expertise and passion of health professionals and concerned citizens alike.
Since 1986, PHR has conducted investigations in more than 40 countries around the world, including Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sudan, the United States, the former Yugoslavia, and Zimbabwe.