Using science and medicine to stop human rights violations
Take Action, Massachusetts!
Support legislation, sign a petition, host screenings of the film Doctors of the Dark Side, write a letter, and more:
- Support the MA Bill that prevents health care professionals’ participation in detainee torture. Sign PHR's petitionto support legislation that sanctions Massachusetts health care professionals who:
- assist in torture,
- participate in the direct interrogation of prisoners, or
- fail to report prisoner abuse.
- Support the award-winning documentary Doctors of the Dark Side, the film that exposes how psychologists and physicians implemented and covered up the torture of detainees in US controlled military prisons.
- Host a screening of the film in your home, your school, or your community center. Visit the Host a Screening page at the Doctors of the Dark Side website for more information.
- Tell your friends. “Like” the film on Facebook and Tweet about the film: #doctorsdarkside, @doctorsdarkside, http://doctorsofthedarkside.com.
- Write a Letter to the Editor or an Op-Ed to your school, local, or regional newspaper with a call for support of the MA bill or a positive review of the film. See PHR's Student Chapter Toolkit for tips on successful letters.
- Contact your local health care professional association and ask them to:
- Endorse the MA legislative campaign.
- Pass a resolution that prohibits doctors and other health care professionals from participating in torture. For an example, see the American Psychiatric Association’s statement (pdf).
- Sign the petition to rescind the Psychological Ethics and National Security (PENS) Report. The PENS policy supports doctor participation in interrogations, a practice that the American Medical Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and other health and human rights organizations have declared is unethical and in violation of good standards of healthcare.
- Learn more: