Widney Brown oversees PHR’s research, investigations, monitoring and evaluation, documentation, advocacy, and capacity-building projects.
Prior to joining PHR, Brown served as the senior director for international law and policy at Amnesty International's Secretariat in London. She was responsible for Amnesty International's strategic litigation program, standard-setting initiatives, international justice program, advocacy in global and regional intergovernmental settings, and policy development.
Before Amnesty International, Brown worked at Human Rights Watch for nine years during which time she served in a variety of roles, including as deputy program director, where she was responsible for overseeing the work of both regional and thematic programs.
Brown has extensive experience doing research and advocacy on a range of human rights issues, including sexual violence in armed conflict and violations in pre-trial detention and prisons, as well as on the promotion of international justice.
Brown holds a BA from the George Washington University and a JD from New York University School of Law where she was a Root-Tilden Scholar.
Blog Posts by Widney Brown
- It’s About Civilian Protection (October 7, 2015)
- American Psychological Association’s First Step Toward Accountability (August 10, 2015)
- Unbiased Health Care Stifled in Bahrain (April 30, 2015)
- No Justice. No Truth. No Reparations. (March 4, 2015)
- Ebola: Dying of Poverty for Lack of a Functioning Health Care System (October 21, 2014)
PHR Reports by Widney Brown
- Forced Displacements and Destroyed Lives around Upper Paunglaung Dam in Shan State, Myanmar (October 5, 2015)
- Doctors in the Crosshairs: Four Years of Attacks on Health Care in Syria (March 11, 2015)
- Doing Harm: Health Professionals’ Central Role in the CIA Torture Program (December 16, 2014)
- A Foreseeable Disaster in Burma (November 13, 2014)
Audio & Video featuring Widney Brown
- Widney Brown Discusses the Ebola Epidemic at Roosevelt House, Roosevelt House (October 17, 2014)