Hans Hogrefe, MA
Hans Hogrefe brings more than 15 years of human rights, advocacy, and policy experience to PHR. Hogrefe develops PHR policy positions on international human rights issues, including PHR’s recent work on Bahrain, Burma, and Libya. He is responsible for all relations with Capitol Hill, the Administration, and relevant executive agencies. Hogrefe works closely with bipartisan Hill contacts to develop human rights hearings and briefings, and oversees the drafting of PHR-initiated legislation, such as the Medical Neutrality Protection Act of 2011 and human rights amendments, policy recommendations, and hearing outlines.
Before joining PHR, Hogrefe was the Democratic staff director for the bipartisan Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission in the U.S. House of Representatives, serving Commission Co-Chairman James P. McGovern.
Previously, Hogrefe worked for the House Committee on Foreign Affairs as the senior professional majority staff member, where he was responsible for the development, drafting, and the legislative implementation of human rights legislation.
For 13 years, the German-born Hogrefe served the only Holocaust Survivor elected to the U.S. Congress, Tom Lantos, as a committee staffer, senior legislative aide, and executive director of the Congressional Human Rights Caucus. In that capacity, Hogrefe cultivated this group from a 13-member voluntary organization in 1995 into a bicameral 240-member entity in 2006, which was formally institutionalized by the Speaker of the House of Representatives as the Tom Lantos Human Rights Commission in 2008.
Hogrefe holds an MA degree in English, political science, and history from Westphalian Wilhems University in Muenster, Germany.
Blog Posts by Hans Hogrefe, MA
- The closure of Guantánamo: a modern Gordian Knot (May 23, 2013)
- Failing to Heal: Hunger Strikes in Guantánamo and the Role of Medical Professionals (April 30, 2013)
- PHR Remembers Victims of September 11 Attacks and Thanks All Who Fight for Human Rights (September 9, 2011)
Audio & Video featuring Hans Hogrefe, MA
- The Principle of Medical Neutrality (January 24, 2012)
- Draconian Sentences for Bahraini Medics: PHR's Hans Hogrefe on BBC World News , BBC World News (September 29, 2011)