Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
Christy Carnegie Fujio oversees all training, mentoring, and network building activities for PHR in the Middle East North Africa (MENA) region. She consults with PHR partner organizations on regional and international advocacy initiatives and works with the medical and legal communities on the documentation of war crimes. Fujio also provides legal training and assistance with legal reform in countries where state-sponsored torture practices persist, and she directs the overall design and strategy of PHR’s Asylum Program.
Fujio is author of several PHR reports and her commentary has been published in New York Times, Boston Globe, Guardian, US News &World Report, The Lancet, and legal journals at Georgetown University Law Center, Michigan State University College of Law, and University of San Francisco School of Law.
Prior to joining PHR, Fujio worked in private practice as an immigration attorney, and she currently handles pro bono asylum and unaccompanied minor cases. She has organized and conducted legal training and capacity-building seminars for women parliamentarians, executive officers, and civil society leaders from Afghanistan, Bosnia, Liberia, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, and Sudan. She consulted directly with the Liberian president, Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, regarding the transitional justice hurdles Liberia faces in the wake of its civil war.
Fujio holds a JD from Suffolk University Law School and an MA in international policy studies from the Monterey Institute of International Studies.
Blog Posts by Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
- The Unsung Heroes of Syria (April 16, 2014)
- Sometimes Laughter is the Only Medicine (March 26, 2014)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday – Another Day in Syria (February 23, 2014)
- Discovering Inspiration in Tragedy (November 18, 2013)
- Polio and Starvation - Latest Indicators of Humanitarian Crisis in Syria (November 8, 2013)
PHR Reports by Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
- Buried Alive: Solitary Confinement in the US Detention System (April 4, 2013)
- Dual Loyalties (March 21, 2011)
Articles & Opinion Pieces by Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
- We lower ourselves through inhumane practice of solitary confinement, Boston Globe (March 19, 2012)