Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
Christy Carnegie Fujio oversees all training, mentoring, and network building activities for PHR in the Middle East North Africa (MENA) region. She consults with PHR partner organizations on regional and international advocacy initiatives and works with the medical and legal communities on documentation of war crimes. Fujio also provides legal training and assistance with legal reform in countries where state-sponsored torture practices persist, and she directs the overall design and strategy of PHR’s Asylum Program.
Fujio is author of several PHR reports and her commentary has been published in The New York Times, The Boston Globe, The Guardian, US News &World Report, The Lancet, and legal journals at Georgetown University Law Center, Michigan State University College of Law, and University of San Francisco School of Law.
Prior to joining PHR, Fujio worked in private practice as an immigration attorney, and she currently handles pro bono asylum and unaccompanied minor cases. She has organized and conducted legal training and capacity-building seminars for women parliamentarians, executive officers, and civil society leaders from Afghanistan, Bosnia, Liberia, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, and Sudan. She consulted directly with Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf regarding the transitional justice hurdles Liberia faces in the wake of its civil war.
Fujio holds a JD from Suffolk University Law School and an MA in international policy studies from the Monterey Institute of International Studies. She joined the PHR staff in 2010.
Blog Posts by Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
- Uzbekistan’s ‘House of Torture’ Is No ‘Home Sweet Home’ (August 17, 2012)
- The Games Are Over (August 17, 2012)
- South Korean Activist Seeks Medical Proof of Torture (August 9, 2012)
- Special Rapporteur Mendez Assessing Torture Prohibition Measures in Tajikistan (May 10, 2012)
- Conference Highlights Importance of Forensic Evidence to Asylum Seekers (February 21, 2012)
PHR Reports by Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
- Buried Alive: Solitary Confinement in the US Detention System (April 4, 2013)
- Dual Loyalties (March 21, 2011)
Articles & Opinion Pieces by Christy Carnegie Fujio, JD, MA
- We lower ourselves through inhumane practice of solitary confinement, Boston Globe (March 19, 2012)