Donna McKay, MS
Donna McKay joined PHR as executive director in February 2012, bringing more than 20 years of international and domestic nonprofit experience to the organization. She provides overall leadership and strategic direction and manages PHR’s staff and volunteers globally. After joining PHR, McKay moved the organization’s headquarters from Massachusetts to New York, and hired over 30 new, high-caliber staff with extensive human rights experience. Since becoming executive director, McKay has overseen organizational budget growth of more than 45 percent.
Before PHR, McKay served for nearly a decade as the director of institutional advancement and special projects at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). In this senior executive position, she played a critical role in transforming the organization as it responded to the erosion of U.S. civil liberties in the aftermath of the September 11 attacks. Among other successes, she designed and led “Leading Freedom Forward,” a national campaign to significantly expand the ACLU’s presence in the South and Midwest Regions. She worked with a nationwide team of staff and volunteers who raised over $400 million for this special initiative. She also co-founded and helped manage the International Network of Civil Liberties Organizations, comprising some of the world’s most esteemed civil liberties groups.
Prior to the ACLU, McKay served as vice president for development at the U.S. Fund for UNICEF and chaired the Campaign to Eliminate Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus Worldwide. Previously, she worked as a director and senior program officer for Planned Parenthood of New York City, where she developed sexual and reproductive health and rights programs in Malawi, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.
McKay holds an MS in non-profit management and urban policy from the New School for Social Research.
Blog Posts by Donna McKay, MS
- Conversations: One Doctor’s Struggle for Justice (June 2, 2016)
- We Must Hold Assad to Account for Murdering Doctors and Journalists (March 23, 2016)
- Courageous Refugees, Cowardly Politicians (November 19, 2015)
- An $81 Million Betrayal of Medical Ethics (October 14, 2015)
- The Brutal Toll of Psychologists' Role in Torture (August 6, 2015)
Audio & Video featuring Donna McKay, MS
- Physicians for Human Rights: A Snapshot of Our Work Around the World (April 29, 2015)
- Physicians for Human Rights Gala 2015 (April 29, 2015)