Media Relations Manager
Reporting to the Director of Communications, we seek a media relations manager to join our team. This position will be located in our New York City office.
As the media relations manager, you will spearhead the development of a strategy that brings PHR's voice and story to new audiences. You will create media communications plans, respond to media inquiries, proactively reach out to journalists, develop messaging, and write/edit communications across several regions/offices and digital platforms. This position cultivates and maintains relationships with the media, conducts media training, and regularly updates PHR’s media contact lists. The candidate must be a media-savvy, team-oriented professional with solid writing, relationship building, and pitching skills.
Reports to: Director of Communications
Location: New York, NY
- Develop and manage national and international media relationships and lead outreach efforts to in support of PHR’s positions and publication releases
- Provide coaching and interview prep for PHR staff, consultants, and other experts
- Conduct media outreach in order to develop brand awareness of PHR and its staff and other experts
- Respond promptly to incoming media inquiries
- Write, edit, and package persuasive and newsworthy content about PHR that can be easily repurposed by you or others into blog posts, tweets, comments, traditional press releases, opinion pieces, letters to the editor, and talking points
- Maintain and utilize Meltwater media clip service to monitor daily news coverage and propose responses, releases, interviews or new media tactics based on that coverage
- Track media mentions of PHR and its experts
- Write, edit, and issue press releases, media advisories, op-eds, letters to the editor, and other communications materials
- Maintain and build media lists based on relevant topics and geographic areas, including TV and radio producer lists
- Serve as lead rapid responder on breaking news and opportunities
- Compile and submit biweekly internal media reports
- Other related tasks as assigned
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-7 years experience in media relations and communications
- Genuine excitement about the notion of bringing PHR’s stories to new audiences
- Excellent written and communications skills with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch, and secure feature coverage in top-tier media
- A creative thinker who's able to navigate complexity and ambiguity to get to the heart of and cultivate a great story
- Leads cross-functional efforts to identify and develop positioning for programs, partnerships, and people in order to significantly bolster the impact of PHR’s work
- Familiarity with Meltwater, Cision, or comparable media database
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and handle high-pressure situations and competing media issues
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience. PHR offers industry-leading employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance, a retirement savings plan, and very generous vacation leave.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter (with compensation requirements), writing sample of one to two pages, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Media Relations Manager Ref COM-15-007” in the subject line.
PHR is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. PHR encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
Date Posted: October 5, 2015