Information Technology Manager
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR) seeks a strategic and experienced information technology manager. The IT manager is a pivotal role at PHR, responsible for oversight of management, implementation, and operation of a global information system for the agency.
Reporting to the director of finance and administration (DFA), this position requires a strategic thinker and a hands-on implementer. This is an exciting opportunity to completely “own” our IT environment, guiding and supporting the organization in effective use of information technology. The IT manager works closely with staff at all levels of the organization, consulting with executive management to determine computer system needs and capacity, develop projects’ scope/budget/priority, and provide support to end users in the selection, procurement, usage, and maintenance of software and hardware in a fast-paced environment.
Reports to: Director of Finance and Administration
Location: New York, NY
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Advise DFA by recommending and developing plans for systems development and operations, hardware and software purchases, and budget
- Perform systems maintenance, and support for a Microsoft Active Directory (AD) environment using Windows Server 2003 / 2008R2 and beyond, Windows 7, and Windows XP
- Develop, maintain, and test disaster recovery plans on an ongoing basis
- Manage and leverage new and ongoing relationships with our key providers and partners - including offsite datacenter co-location facility, hosted VOIP vendor, internet service providers, server hardware vendors, pc hardware vendors, and others
- Maintain and support our VOIP telephones and system, in partnership with our hosted VOIP provider
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures
- Perform daily system monitoring: verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, network equipment, server resources; reviewing system and application logs; and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities; configure / add new services as necessary
- Manage SAN, Exchange, virtual servers, firewall, and all routers and switches
- Troubleshoot and resolve complex problems
- Maintain current knowledge of relevant hardware and software applications
- Manage small-to-medium-size system development, integration, and/or implementation projects according to agreed-upon budgets and schedules
- Occasional travel to our other offices (Boston, DC) and/or offsite datacenter when needed (typically 2-3 days per quarter)
Qualifications and Experience:
- Baccalaureate degree in management information systems, computer science, or related field - or equivalent experience - is required
- Proven experience in network and database management, troubleshooting, end user support, and disaster recovery; ideal candidate would also have successes in contract negotiation
- Strong hands-on working knowledge and management of computer server hardware and software; examples include Microsoft network and operating products (including SQLServer, Windows Servers, Exchange/Outlook), VMware ESXi Server, Linux OS, and Cisco routers and switches
- Ideal candidate would also have some familiarity with systems administration and management of other backoffice systems and products (eg Symantec Whole Disk Encryption, Truecrypt, Mac OSX, Abilia (aka Sage) MIP Fund Accounting 100, Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud Convio Luminate)
- Must be customer service oriented and able to work with program and administrative staff as well as outside consultants and experts
- Commitment to human rights and the work we do is essential
- Team orientation, excellent judgment, maturity, creativity, flexibility, energy, and a good sense of humor are critical
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter (with compensation requirement) and resume to resumes [at] phrusa [dot] org. Include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
PHR is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. PHR encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status.
Date Posted: November 26, 2013