Scott A. Allen, MD, FACP
Dr. Allen began his work in health and human rights at the age of 17 in Cambodian refugee camps in Thailand, listening to the stories of those who had escaped the Khmer Rouge's torture and killing fields. After returning to the United States to complete his medical studies, he embarked on a career of caring for underserved and marginalized populations. Following three years in the National Health Services Corps in the Mississippi Delta and Rhode Island, he served for seven years as a full-time physician for the Rhode Island Department of Corrections, acting as the department’s medical program supervisor between 2001 and 2004. In 2004, Scott left that position and joined PHR in its investigations into the treatment of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib and the examination of the Bush Administration's interrogation program – particularly of the participation of health professionals.
In 2007, Dr. Allen served as the lead researcher for PHR’s report on enhanced interrogation techniques, “Leave No Marks: Enhanced Interrogation Techniques and the Risk of Criminality.” He has worked extensively with PHR in efforts to ensure that the American Medical Association (AMA), the National Commission on Correctional Healthcare (NCCHC), and the American Psychological Association (APA) prohibit illegal and unethical practices of health professionals. He has also written and spoken extensively about the proper role of health professionals in the management of hunger strikes.
Dr. Allen is currently a Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of Academic Affairs at the University of California, Riverside. He is also the co-founder and co-director of the Center for Prisoner Health and Human Rights at Brown University.
Blog Posts by Scott A. Allen, MD, FACP
- Further Evidence of Medical Monitoring of CIA Torture (March 16, 2009)
PHR Reports by Scott A. Allen, MD, FACP
- Doing Harm: Health Professionals’ Central Role in the CIA Torture Program (December 16, 2014)
- Crucial Senate Hearing on Indefinite Detention Includes PHR Testimony by Dr. Scott Allen (March 1, 2012)
- Experiments in Torture (June 1, 2010)
- Aiding Torture: Health Professionals' Ethics and Human Rights Violations Demonstrated in the May 2004 CIA Inspector General's Report (August 31, 2009)
- Leave No Marks (August 2, 2007)